Highlighting Online Learning Skills for Students
10 February 2007
- Develop a time-management strategy: not a new tip but just as crucial for online learning.
- Make the most of online discussions: a skill I have pushed strongly in both my SharePoint days and with iLearn. For three semesters I have allocated marks for online discussion participation.
- Use it or lose it: apply knowledge immediately for a practical purpose as soon as you acquire it during the course.
- Make questions useful to your learning: more important online than ever, and online discussions make the process less frightening than asking questions in class.
- Stay motivated: an old faithful that is easy to promulgate but difficult to achieve.
- Communicate the instruction techniques that work: boils down to instructors being active continually in the online discussions.
- Make connections with fellow students: another old chestnut that can be achieved more successfully, and less embarrassingly, online.
I will probably use this list in general advice to my classes in future.