My Kindle Three Months In
18 March 2010 2 Comments
Some colleagues have asked for some feedback on my Kindle, so this is a hurried post in reply.
I love my Kindle which I have been using for 3 months. It is particularly useful when I travel because of its large capacity and low weight/size.
I have used it mainly for fiction but also some non-fiction books. Some plus points:
- Long battery life of 10 days or more
- Can store hundreds of books
- Quick and easy download from Amazon via 3G (even in the wilds of Tasmania!)
- Access same book library from PC and iPhone, retaining bookmarks and annotations
- Low price of books compared to print
- Change font size, orientation to suit reading conditions
- Only monochrome
- No copy/paste, even for fragments so quotes very difficult (copy/paste is especially useful for computer code/data in other e-books such as those on Books24x7)
- PDFs can be read, but should be formatted for Kindle otherwise they have poor reading quality
- No support for epub format which is becoming the main standard, although .mobi files can be read
Overall it is a very good dedicated e-book reader, but constitutes an additional device to carry albeit light and compact.